More than 5,000 Chinese workers at a China-US tire manufacturer have gone on strike against the US parent company’s US$2.5 billion takeover by an Indian firm, Chinese state media reported.
Cooper Tire & Rubber Co announced last month that it would be taken over by Apollo Tyres Ltd of India, which would make the combined group the seventh-largest such firm in the world.
However, thousands of staff at Cooper Chengshan Tire Co (固鉑成山輪胎), a joint venture in China’s Shandong Province, have walked out in protest, Xinhua news agency said late on Tuesday.
It quoted union leaders as saying they wanted to block the huge transaction, which saw Cooper shares leap on the New York Stock Exchange.
Workers are concerned tha the Indian company will be unable to repay the debt it would take on in the highly leveraged acquisition and their interests could be damaged, Xinhua said.
Employees have become increasingly vocal in China recently, with numerous labor disputes occurring in the past years, but the cause of the Cooper Chengshan strike is unusual as protests are normally focused on pay and working conditions.
It is the latest incident to hit a foreign joint venture after Chinese workers held a US factory executive hostage for nearly a week in late June over a plan by his US-based medical supply company to lay off 30 workers.
Cooper holds 65 percent of the joint venture and China’s Chengshan Group has 35 percent.
“I cannot imagine what the company will become after it is taken over by the Indian company,” Cooper Chengshan worker Ma Rufu (馬汝福) said, according to Xinhua.
Ma added that Apollo’s annual profits were not enough to repay the interest on the debt.
“How can our welfare be sustained [after the acquisition]?” he said.
Zhang Huaqian, another Cooper employee, said: “We shall fight to the end with anyone who allows us to lose our jobs.”
Xinhua quoted Yue Chunxue (岳春學), the director of the Cooper Chengshan labor union, as saying it had been given no information about the deal.
“This is in contempt of Chinese law and disrespect[s] Chinese workers,” Yue said, adding that the union wants the deal scrapped.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort